Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The marriage list

It's been a while since I lasted posted but the holiday season seemed to take me by surprise this year.  That doesn't mean though that I haven't been reading. As a matter of fact, I recently finished a sweet, quick romance called The Marriage List, by Dorothy McFalls.   This is my first read of this fairly new author's work but she seems to be off to a great start.  I'm sure as she continues evolve in her craft, we can expect to see great works in the future.  I loved that the characters weren't "perfect", though, I'm disappointed that she seemed to "fix" them in the end.  I know that one of the attractions to romance books is the "happily ever after", but every once in a while I'd like to see the characters content in there "imperfections".  For my romance readers out there; do you prefer to escape to a world where everything always works out in the end or something a little closer to reality?

2 comments:

  1. I won't lie...I like the happily ever after. We are completely surrounded by reality. Part of the fun of reading is the escape! So yes! I like pleasant, unrealistic fiction that takes me away to an alternate reality. Although, I must admit you have a point, and I guess a different take on a romance would be a nice change of pace (if only for a book or two). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too read for the escape but I'd love to see "happily ever after" happen for some characters that aren't so perfect. I'd like to see them find perfection in the midst of their imperfections...at least for a book or two. ;)

      Delete