Monday, November 18, 2013

Spectre of the Sword by Kathryn Le Veque



I know I was a little absent last month but I by no means stopped reading. As a matter of fact, the book of choice was one of the more impressive works of historical romance that I've read in a while. Spectre of the Sword by Kathryn Le Veque is full of romance, of course, but also of adventure.

For Lady Elizabeau Treveighan and Sir Rhys du Bois, life has just handed them the most difficult of challenges. Do they sacrifice their chance at the kind of love that comes only once in a lifetime for the good of a country and thousands of others that would be affected by your decision? Or, do they snatch the only chance they have at love so rare?

England is counting on Lady Elizabeau to marry another and thereby take her place as the next queen and ending a reign of tyranny by her uncle.  However, no one could foresee her falling in love with knight sent to protect her until she could reach the altar, least of all the said knight.   Sir Rhys du Bois develops feelings for his charge that would fly in the face of his duty as a knight.  But how can they be so selfish with the future of an entire country hanging in the balance?  

The characters were extremely well developed. The story line kept you turning the page; and the story was so well written I had to run to my encyclopedia to look up which parts were fact and which were fiction.

Before I'd even finished the book, I had a discussion with a friend and put the question forth:  "Love or duty?"   Now I'll ask you the same, which would you choose?  Love or duty?

No comments:

Post a Comment